Health and Safety
For the safety and enjoyment of all please:
- No running, jumping or diving in or around the pools.
- No smoking, vaping, eating or drinking in the pools.
- Children 8 years of age and under must be ACTIVELY SUPERVISED at all times by a caregiver aged 16 or over and the caregiver must be able to provide immediate assistance. Unsupervised children will be asked to leave the pool area.
- All infants must wear bathing suits and swimming nappies (these can be purchased at reception). We recommend keeping young children in cooler pools to ensure they do not overheat.
- We recommend that any patrons with underlying medical conditions, contact with their doctor if they have any reservations about using our hot pools.
- Take notice of all danger signs in and around the complex and do not enter any restricted areas.
- As these are natural geothermal pools we recommend that keep your head above water while bathing.
- Check the depth and temperature of the pool before entering.
- Non-swimmers do not go in over your depth.
- To reduce the risk of fainting drink plenty of water while bathing and take care when entering and leaving the pools.
- Swimwear/appropriate clothing must be worn at all times whilst in the pools.
- We recommend leaving all jewellery and other valuables either at home or in one of our lockers for hire. Waikite Valley Thermal Pools does not accept responsibility for any damage or loss of belongings.
- Please treat all surfaces as slippery, take extra care.
- Alcohol is not allowed in the pools. We do not recommend bathing after consuming alcoholic beverages.
- Waikite Valley Thermal Pools is a non-smoking complex, including vaping.
- Remember to always wear sunscreen.
- No children under the age of 14 will be permitted entry without an adult.
- Excessive swearing is not acceptable.
- The throwing of food or other items into the cascades is unacceptable.
- Patrons may not intimidate or hassle other patrons or staff members.
- Pool management reserve the right to ask people to remove themselves from the pool if their behaviour compromises either their own safety or the safety of other pool users, and they may be trespassed for up to 2 years.
Visiting Groups Risk Assessment and Management
Risks involved in a visit to the Waikite Valley Thermal Pools
Given that this is a swimming-based activity we require a ratio of 4:1 of children to teachers or parents. Supervision at all times is the responsibility of the group organiser/leader. The group organiser/leader must first see management before the children enter the pool premises. You will be given instructions for the group. School groups will generally be restricted to the splash pool.
1. Scrapes and bruises/fractures
2. Burns and scalds
1. Concrete areas around the pools and changing rooms.
2. Walk way, hot pipes and hot water.
3. Swimming pools, private pools and Te Manaroa Spring.
1. Weather, wet concrete areas are slippery.
2. Geothermal water on surfaces around the pool and changing rooms are slippery.
1. Outline procedures for moving around complex, walking NOT RUNNING.
2. All signage to be adhered to at all times. Restricted areas to be kept away from.
3. Access to Te Manaroa Spring only with active adult supervision.
4. Active supervision with ratios as per specified at all times while in the complex.
1. Children must at all times walk, not run.
2. Children at all times must follow the instructions as set out by the group supervisor or be removed from the complex.
3. Children must stay within the designated pool areas. Children must not enter the walkway without the active supervision by a designated supervisor.
1. Adhere to all signage re wet slippery surfaces.
2. Children to use the correct entry and exit points around the pool to minimize geothermal wet spots.
Coping with Emergencies:
1. Assess the situation and treat as needed.
1. All senior staff hold current first aid certificates and are trained in CPR.
2. First aid kit is available.
3. Ambulance if needed.
1. Know boundaries.
2. Adhere to all signage.
3. Use safety mat areas.
Active supervision is required at all times.
Sign and Date the below Risk Assessment & Management Form
Please click here to Download form